BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

More Info About Pathology Report

I had a follow-up appointment with the surgeon today.  Turns out, there was more to the pathology report than he relayed on yesterday.  The main tumor measured 6.2 cm, but there was another cancerous tumor in the first lymph node he removed.  It measured 2.7 cm.  He could see where another lymph node was enlarged too.  The pathology report revealed cancer cells within the lymphatic vessels (they transport fluid to the lymph nodes), so he's certain that more nodes were infected than the report shows.  He has asked a doctor in the pathology department to look at those nodes again...more thoroughly.

Bottom line, I will need 30 rounds of radiation of the entire lymphatic region after my chemotherapy.  This is for two reasons: (1) the tumor was so large, and (2) the cancer has spread into the lymphatic region.  Terry asked him if he had any idea how many rounds of chemo I'd need.  He said probably 6-8 rounds.  This is only the beginning of a long road.

The surgeon also removed one of the drain tubes today.  It didn't hurt at all!  He said everything else looks great.

The oncologist's office called this afternoon to schedule my pre-chemo bloodwork and office visit with Dr. Tauer.  This will take place on May 26th.  I may have a CT/PET scan that day to see if cancer is in any other area(s) of my body.  (Now, who could ever be "ready" for a test like that?" I will probably begin chemo that week too.  I think I'll choose Fridays if given the option.

Hey...God is still good and He is definitely able!  Love you all.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen, If anybody can conquer this unbelievably difficult journey, it would be you, my friend. You are a blessing to everyone who knows you. I am praying for you everyday.
Hugs,
Colleen

Anonymous said...

Yes Karen, God is truly able! I am encouraged by your faithful attitude and I thank God for that peace that passeth ALL understanding. You are in my sincere thoughts and prayers daily. I am so proud of you! Stay strong!

Love you,
Lena

Kidcraze said...

Oh, Karen, I'm sorry. That wasn't a very good report.
Yes, He is able and His strength is made perfect in our weakness.

Tracy

Mrsphylpie said...

Well Sis in Christ one thing I know for sure is...God didn't bring you this far to leave you!! One day at a time mixed with one day's of God's Awesome Blessings brings about COMPLETION!!! Love Ya Phyllis

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen, yes God is more than able! Girl, we will get through this. I know it may be hard somedays, but keep the faith and the positive attitude that you have.

Continuing to pray for you!

Much love to you dear!

Janice

Anonymous said...

Hey Sis,
I still haven't figured out how to do this from my BB. Oh well, maybe I will have to use a real computer. Anyway, I am sorry I didnt get to call you yesterday. God's power exceeds any of our expectations, desires, comprehensions and realities. Reality to us is the limited knowledge of man. And while we appreciate the knowledge and insight that we are able to gain from the science of medicine; let's never forget that God's healing ability exceeds that knowledge by far. We pray for you continuously. God is at work here. He always has been and will continue to be.
Girl you know that I love you,
Charity

Anonymous said...

Hello my "Bosom Buddy",

Know in your spirit and heart that "All things work together for the good to those who love God and are called according to his purpose"! There is light at the end of the tunnel...The journey keeps us alive!

I love you, cuz,
Roni