BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, July 30, 2010

New Chemo Drugs Today

Hello faithful readers,

Today was round 5 of my chemotherapy.  I am on two new drugs for the remainder of my regimen - Taxol and Herceptin.  I will have them both every two weeks, but come weekly for the Herceptin.  After round 8, I'll continue with herceptin for about a year, but only every 3 weeks.

Good news: I feel pretty good today - during the infusion and after coming home.  I was at the clinic for 8 hours!!!  I had lab work, doctor appt, then 5.5 hours in the treatment room.  In the future, treatment should be slightly shorter, but still a very long trip to the clinic.

Bad news: Taxol get very bad reviews for day 3 and beyond.  It is a very different drug than adriamycin.  While AD attacks fast-growing cells, Taxol attacks fast-dividing cells.  At least, that's my understand.  The new drug is supposed to cause severe body and muscle aches that only increases in severity with each treatment.  It should also cause sudden additional hair loss.  So, goodbye eye brows and arm hair! 

All in all, I'm optimistic.  I'm just glad I feel as good as I do on Day 1.  I know each drug carries with it a different pattern though.  Herceptin doesn't have very many side effects.  :-)

2 comments:

Suzanne S. said...

Wow, what a long day!! Praying that you don't have the severe side effects but that it just does its job and kills those cancer cells!!

Kidcraze said...

That is a long day at the doctor office!


Do you have someone to go with you to the visits or do you go it alone? Do you read or listen to MP3s or how do you pass the time?

May the drugs do their job with as few side effects as possible!