BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Strength?

I don’t get out much these days. In fact, I’ve missed worship and bible class way too much since May. Yet, sometimes – when I feel pretty good – I get up, put on my wig, put on some clothes, put on some makeup, put on a smile, and head to church. Without fail, someone will comment about how “good I look” and how “strong I am”. I politely smile and thank them, but then I wonder about the second statement. Side note: I don’t worry so much about the first statement because I know people know my condition and know I’m really bald underneath the wig, so it’s most fitting to say to someone going through chemo, “you look so good”. I appreciate and understand those words – really, I do. It’s the second statement that leaves me puzzled.

What do they see that they perceive as strength? Is it because I’m there? Is it because I’m smiling and not falling to pieces? Well, I tell you the truth…I’m not strong. If you don’t believe me, ask Regina…Tricia…Veronica…my mother…Terry. Ha! If people only knew. The ONLY thing that gets me through each treatment, each new side effect, each new deficiency, each DAY is the Lord. It is “in my weakness that His strength is made perfect” (2 Corinthians 12:9). When I say that your prayers are sustaining me, I truly mean it. Thank you for them! The simple truth is, I am weak. I’m just depending on God to carry me through this journey.

I’ll get off my soap box and get back to bed. I just had this on my heart and wanted to stop and give credit where credit was due. God bless!

1 comments:

Kim Chapman said...

Oh, Karen!! I love you so!! God's strength truly shines through you. I am praying faithfully for you!!