BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, November 1, 2010

One-Third Down, Two-Thirds to Go

I've completed 1/3 of my radiation treatments!!  I'm very thankful for not having any skin problems so far.  I've darkened a bit, and my skin/muscles are a little tight under my arm, but no burning.  This morning, I saw the doctor, and he says everything looks good.  I'm losing a little weight, which is very surprising to me considering my increased appetite.  This isn't something they want, but aren't too concerned about it right now.

Friday afternoon, I burned my left hand pretty badly.  I was placing a casserole in the oven and my left hand touched the top heating unit of the over.  Yes...the red coil itself!  It sizzled and I even smelled some burned flesh.  The wound was painful and is still white.  It burned at least two layers of skin and bubbled at first.  I've treated it with peroxide and Neosporin all weekend and kept it loosely covered to prevent infection.  The doctor looked at it this morning and said it looks very good.  It doesn't appear to have any infection, so I should keep doing what I'm doing.  What a relief!  I'm not sure what my white blood count looks like, so I do not welcome infection at all.  Also, I'm so very blessed and relieved that it was not the right hand.  With my lymphadema risk, I shouldn't have any trauma to the right hand or arm - not even a prick or a squeeze.

So, all in all, I'm doing well.  I get very sleepy after each radiation treatment and sometimes throughout the day, but I bounce back pretty quickly.  It's November.  This should mark the last month of  my cancer treatments - prayerfully, forever!  After this month, I rest.  I will start my new "normal", post-cancer life, and live cancer-free forever more...Lord willing.

2 comments:

Suzanne S. said...

I am so glad your treatments are going so well!! But I am so sorry to hear you burned yourself! Glad to hear it is healing so nicely. Praying for you as you continue on your journey! Hopefully I will see you this week at our meeting and the after-meeting!

Anonymous said...

Keeping you in our daily prayers. Remember that you were given the gift of the Holy Spirit which gives you Amazing power to withstand ALL things!! We love you all.

Lena and family