BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, October 25, 2010

Too Well??

Radiation is going very well...too well, apparently.  Today, during an exam, my radiation oncologist asked me if I have been using anything on my skin.  When I told him I have been using a natural sunblock that my aunt sent me, he told me that I need to stop using it.  As it turns out, he actually wants me to burn.  Here's why...

When a breast cancer patient has a mastectomy and needs radiation, their chances of recurrence are greatest in the area of the scar - at the skin surface level.  The sunblock would protect that area too much and can prevent the radiation from doing its job as well.  He explained that if I'd had a lumpectomy, the sunscreen would be fine and could help protect the skin from burn.  So, all the other side effects weren't enough.  I need to burn too.  That's just dandy, huh?

Otherwise, I'm feeling okay.  I get tired sometimes and want to sleep longer.  Also, my eyelashes and eyebrows are still shedding and are almost gone.  Surprisingly, that's been tough for me to deal with.  On a happy note, my hair is slowly growing back and my hands and fingernails are starting to regain their natural coloring.  A journey through cancer is different for every person.  I'm starting to see my weak areas now.

0 comments: