BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Instincts Kicking In

This time off has been good for me.  I'm healing nicely.  I'm listening to my instincts.  I'm slowly regaining my strength.  I usually feel good, but some days, I'm just plain ole tired!  This reminds me of all my body has been through lately.

I missed the consultation with the DIEP surgeon on January 4th because the PET scan tool longer than anticipated.  Funny thing is, I haven't had the desire to reschedule.  my gut keeps telling me to stick with Dr. Adams and the TRAM flap procedure.  While the new, cutting-edge, DIEP procedure sounds great, I'm not thrilled about the longer surgery time, the drive to downtown Memphis (UT hospital is the only one equipped for this surgery), and only know of one person who has used this surgeon... and she didn't exactly 'sing his praises'. 

On the other hand, I've visited with Dr. Adams a few times, I LOVE his nurse, Carolyn, and I know of at least 3 people who have been to Dr. Adams and highly recommend him.  Yes, I'd have to lose an abdominal muscle with the TRAM flap, but my cousin had this procedure several years ago, and she's doing great!  She had a double mastectomy, so she had to lose both abdominal muscles.  However, she says it hasn't disturbed her quality of life one bit.  I called Carolyn a week ago to ask her if it would be INSANE to consider asking Dr. Adams to remove both muscles for symmetrical reasons.  She said he highly discourages that.  So, I may never be able to sit up again without having to roll sidewards or roll forward using a bent let, but I think I can live with that.

0 comments: