BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Break's Over... Moving On

Well, my three-week recovery period is over.  I met with my oncologist today to discuss the next phase of my treatment.  First though, I had blood work.  My red blood count is still very low.  That's surprising to me.  Also, my BP was high.  Anyhow, the doctor says I'm doing well.  For the past two weeks or so, I've been unusually quiet.  I've been down, but for no apparent reason.  I've considered many causes, but still couldn't put my finger on it.  Dr. T. said it's actually pretty common and it's much like postpartum depression.  He called it post-chemo depression.  Looks like I'm not crazy after all.

I will meet with the newest member of my medical team, my radiation oncologist, next Wednesday.  On that day, we will plan out the entire radiation treatment schedule.  Hopefully, radiation will begin the following Monday (Oct 11) and finish on Friday, Nov 19th.  We will see!

In the meantime, I'll have my post-chemo heart echo-cardiogram this Friday.  I will continue having my Herceptin treatments every three weeks and seeing my oncologist every 6 weeks.  I had a treatment today.  I will have 13 more treatments, which will continue through June 2011.

I'm starting to live by my calendar.  As it looks right now, here's my schedule:

10/1 - Echo
10/6 - Consultation w/ Radiation Oncologist
10/10 - 11/19 - Radiation Treatments (daily)
10/20 - Herceptin treatment
11/10 - Dr. visit and Herceptin treatment
11/24 - Herceptin treatment
12/1 - Dr. visit and Herceptin treatment

So, this is progress.  We'll have to see when the reconstructive surgery will take place.  It will either be just before Christmas, or at the beginning of the year.  I like the idea of having everything done before the end of the year, just so I won't have to carry any major phase over into 2011.  I'll follow the doctors' advice.

Please keep the prayers flowing.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen, you are so detailed in your posts that I feel like we have visited and I am all caught up!! It sounds like you have a long road ahead, but time flies!! Can you believe this year is almost over? Sometimes it's hard to believe all this has taken place in the course of a few months. You have done well and I thank God for your state of mind. I wish we could be there with you all and prayerfully, God will provide a way for us to see you all soon! You're in our thoughts and prayers daily. Keep the faith on your end and we will do the same on our end.

Hugs and kisses,
Lena and family.