BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Chemo = Finished

Today, I had my last chemotherapy infusion.  Eight rounds are DONE!!  I didn't ring the bell.  I didn't let them make a big announcement in the treatment room.  I just celebrate in my heart.  Back in May with I was preparing for this phase of treatment, it seemed like September 9th was a world away!  Well, we made it.

 
I say "we" because I could not have made it without you all.  The prayers, the encouraging words, the meals, the cards, the visits, the calls.  Every gesture of love has been so uplifting to me.  My mother has been there for me in every way, and I can only imagine how difficult it is to see your child go through a cancer journey.  She has been a pillar of strength for me.  My father has been encouraging too.  He couldn't come to tend to me like my mother has, but his prayers surely reached God's ears.  :-)  And, oh... my network breast cancer survivors!!  You ladies are priceless!!  Thank you for sharing your story with me and blessing me in ways only YOU know.  I must call you by name: Regina, Tricia, LeAn, Liz, Rhonda, Veronica, Denise W., Janice, Joan, Tessie, Bettye, Corinne, Carla, Denise H. (hang in there).  I could go on and on, but you know who you are.  :-)  I love you all so much.  Thank you.


Dr. Tauer told me today that I have handled the treatments SO very well!!!  He said it as if that's not so usual.  I've come to love the workers at The West Clinic very much.  So many of them are "Jesus" to their patients.  Their warm smiles and greetings are sincere.  They cry with their patients and celebrate with their patients.  It's a great place, indeed.  My blood work numbers will slowly but surely return to normal.  I have been experiencing hot flashes, so I've been told.  Only time will tell if this "menopause" is temporary or permanent. For now, I will allow my body to recover for three weeks, then see Dr. T. on Sept 29th to check blood work and schedule radiation treatments.  I'll undergo radiation for 6 weeks (30 rounds) and continue having my Herceptin infusion every three weeks - for a whole year.  Then, there's reconstruction which will happen after radiation.  Yes, chemo is finished, but there is still quite a bit more to this journey.  I'm just so blessed to be covered in prayer through it.

7 comments:

Mrsphylpie said...

Crying Tears of Joy....I can't get to the end of your story just yet...I'll finish later. I'm just very teary right now....Thank you Lord Thank you Lord Thank you Lord!!!

Mrsphylpie said...

Karen....I got to the end of your post. I'm so excited for you. Love you and keeping you in my prayers. You look WONDERFUL!!

Debbie Ainsworth said...

You Look Stunning!!

Anonymous said...

Karen,u need a new T-shirt that says "You Fight Like a Full-Grown Woman"! I am so proud of you and your family for fighting and staying strong and prayful through this journey! God's power is being made perfect through this season of your life. To God be the Glory! Trusting Him always,love,
Lena and family.

Janice said...

Karen...yeyyy for you! I'm so celebrating with you. You look great! Love the fight like a girl shirt.

Take care and keep on keepin on!

Mrsphylpie said...

Karen since I know my mom and sister wasn't going to come and join us on your blogg...I decided from the beginning to cut and paste so that they could join in. Well, this is what my mom said back in a email. Of course she doesn't know that I'm posting her comment.

"I get so caught up in my own world, which is about NOTHING, until I had totally forgotten about Karen and her journey fighting cancer! I have not been to this computer for about three weeks! Lord Have Mercy on Me!! As I read what Karen said about her mother, I wondered what I would or could do if I had to do it!! I guess Henry would just DIE, because he just can't take it!! I thank God that He has blessed us that we have never had to stand over a sick bed with our children! I know that Karen's mom has prayed a many prayer for her daughter and have cried a many tear when she is alone!
Phyllis, please correct me and caution me when I am speaking or thinking wrong about anything! I have come to far to go backwards! May God continue to help us and bless us all!! So glad I checked my computer today!! O'yes, Karen still looks pretty!!" From my mom Betty.

Kidcraze said...

One hurdle down! I think this was probably the hardest part? You sound like you are doing so good.

What a tremendous blessing to have your mom there for you.